Frequently Asked Questions
How do I join?
In order to become a member of the Explorer Post, you must:
- Submit an application for membership.
- Meet Eligibility requirements:
- Must be age 14 to 20.
- Must be in high school or a high school graduate.
- Must maintain a C average and remain in good standing with your school.
- Must be free of any criminal record.
- Successfully complete an oral interview with the Advisory Staff.
- Successfully complete a background investigation prior to being admitted.
- Be in good physical condition.
- Once accepted, Explorers must learn to function as part of a team.
Does it cost anything to join?
The post registration fee is $35.00 per year, renewed every March. This fee includes your registration dues, insurance and programming fees. Explorers purchase uniform and equipment (i.e. flashlight, boots and leather gear) for competitions, community service events and activities.
Who are Advisors?
The Advisors are police officers and other employees from the Norman Police Department. They are all volunteers and attend additional training seminars presented by the Boy Scouts of America.
What is the oral interview like?
It's an opportunity for the Advisors and senior members of the Post to sit down and talk to you. You will be asked why you are interested in the program and what you hope to gain through your participation.
Can I bring a friend?
Please do. Many of our new Explorers bring along a best friend, classmate, brother or sister, or even a parent to see what the program is like. We have first nighter recruitment meetings every spring and fall semester. We also have frequent social outings.