HR Training & Development
Training & Development Manager
Through our Training and Development Programs, employees at all levels within the City organization are provided with opportunities to learn new or improve on existing skills and behaviors.
Research, planning, development, and implementation of City-wide short and long-range programs are the principal products of the training and development function. Training needs assessments and evaluations for transfer of learning and return on investment are conducted. Facilitation of special focus groups such as team problem solving are provided.
A Computer Training Lab is provided for instructor-led, self-study, web case and Internet classes in computer software applications, technical, safety, and supervisory topics. Customized curriculum development and individual and group project support is available through the lab. Employees receive instruction and the opportunity to work on job-related projects or tasks. Many classes are taught by internal subject matter experts, such as GIS applications, computerized work orders, and purchasing applications. The Fire and Police Departments train regularly in the lab for all shifts.
Programs provide for mandatory classes in workplace compliance and employment law topics on Workplace Harassment, Workplace Violence, FMLA, FLSA, Performance Evaluations and Progressive Discipline, Documentation, Discrimination, Diversity, and Employee Privacy. Classes cover federal, state, local and industry laws, regulations, guidelines and standards, as well as City of Norman policies and procedures.
A Core Value Award Program implemented in 2002 recognizes employees for significant accomplishments related to our City core values. The program includes both timely and annual recognition in the form of events during which employees are awarded medallions designated to depict our Norman logo and City mission and values. Employees have the opportunity for input in the form of nominations and serving on the review committee.
- Support City organizational goals by managing training and development to bring about changes in people and processes that improve employee job performance and so contribute to the organization’s current and future business objectives including financial performance, quality, customer satisfaction, employee motivation, and resource planning.
- Raise the quality of the City workforce by initiating recruiting and selection strategies that result in the placement of highly qualified individuals who have the educational background, competencies, and/or training potential to perform at above average levels.
- Provide an orientation that will promote "bonding" between the employee and the City organization.
- Demonstrate a "we care" attitude; communicate and support the roles of the Human Resources Department staff, City management, and employees in the human resource process.
Design, manage and provide training programs and development courses for management, supervisory, support staff, and other employees. Administer new employee orientation. Oversee the recruitment and selection of applicants for employment with the City of Norman, ensuring compliance with federal laws and regulations as well as the City of Norman’s Personnel Manual and union contracts.
- Provide systematic training and development programs which promote and develop effective leadership, promote management and employee participation and accountability, performance improvement and advancement potential.
- Identify and develop recruiting sources to attract highly qualified applicants.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of selection devices that will identify most qualified and best-suited applicants more accurately, fairly, and consistently.
- Provide all the basic information new employees need to perform efficiently, effectively, and safely on the job.
- Training and Development: Design and provide management development and supervisory training programs for upper and mid-level managers and front-line supervisors. Develop and implement long-term competency/performance based training and/or certification programs for lead and non-supervisory employees and support staff. Provide long-term basic educational programs aimed at improving reading, writing and math skills. Consult with our management team on issues of human performance improvement. Consistently improve training and develop programs by combination of systematic approaches including needs assessment and evaluation of Return On Investment (ROI) through cost benefit analysis and cost-effectiveness analysis. Provide library of Training & Development (T & D) resource materials for self-study.
- Recruitment and Selection: Expand recruitment methods by initiating alternative recruitment strategies. Implement through pre-employment physical assessments and background investigations customized for work groups. Implement tracking and reporting procedures. Audit and enhance selection process; provide interview and assessment training. Integrate human resource planning with T&D efforts.
- Orientation: Develop and provide and expanded employee orientation to include extensive safety presentation. Promote "sponsorship" program and provide new employee follow-up.